Frequently Asked Questions
We want to hear all your questions! Pure Wigs offer everyone a unique style of wig to tailor different face shapes and ages. Please get in touch with us if you can not find the answer you are looking for.
What is cap construction?
- Traditional – The heaviest type of cap construction. Machine sewn traditional closed flower net lace top provides a good lift at the crown and root areas.
- Capless – Light weight and known as open wefting, allowing the air to pass through the wig. The construction helps creates volume and lift due to the teasing found at the root area.
- Monofilament – The hand knotted sheer base, Monofilament creates a very natural look. You can style your hair in any direction of choice and the hair looks like it is growing from the scalp. These are very popular and natural.
- Hand tied – The hand knotted sheer base is light weight and hugs the shape of the scalp.The hair can be styled in any direction and has a very natural look. This is designed for people with total hairloss or sensitive scalps.
- Lacefront – The hand knotted lace front, this is very popular due to the natural hairline. It comes in two types of construction; ready to wear which has a pre-cut lace front and the Professional lace front which will need to be cut-in to create a custom hairline and will require adhesive or tape to secure to the scalp.
What is my face shape?
An oval shaped face is longer than wide, the jaw is narrower than the cheekbones. An oval shaped face has no dominant areas and because the face is so proportional, the oval shaped face can wear just about any hairstyle, shape, texture and look good!
An oblong shaped face is characterised by a very long and narrow bone structure. To create the illusion of an oval shaped face use a fringe piece across the forehead, or curls in the crown and nape areas. This creates a softer look.
A round shaped face is characterised by a wide hairline and fullness under the cheekbones. A round shaped face looks good with a geometric or linear style. This flattens round appearance. Add height when possible and long wispy sides to make the cheeks look narrow.
A diamond shaped face has narrow sides and fullness at the chin. Bob wigs can look really nice for this face shape, avoid adding volume to the sides and height. To cover a narrow forehead where a fringe.
A heart shaped face has a wide forehead and a narrower chin. To add some volume around the chin keep hair close to the head at the eyes but make it slightly full around the jaw, and below and in front of the earlobes. Also wear some hair over the forehead to disguise the width.
A square shaped face has a wide hairline and jaw. Square shaped faces need height and narrowness at the sides to break up the squareness. You can comb the hair off the forehead to add height to the face. Curly or wavy textures around the face can disguise the wide, straight lines common in a square face.
My wig has tangled at the nape, what can I do?
Some wigs do tangle at the nape and it’s caused by hair rubbing the back and shoulders. This is known as Friction Rub. If your wig is shoulder length or the hair is thin then your wig is more likely to matt.
How you can prevent this:
Brush your wig regularly and when washing leave the conditioner in for 5 minutes to prevent the hair from tangling and drying. Purchase a wig stand and keep your wig on there overnight. Fibre Hair wigs are also quite common to matt.
You can also subscribe to our WigScription Aftercare service and send your piece back to Pure Wigs to be professionally managed.
How do I look after my Fibre Wig?
It’s important that you use the right product for your Synthetic Fibre Wigs and Hairpieces. We recommend the Dimples Fibre Oil Conditioner and T Fibre Range to care for these type of products. To prevent the fibres from splitting, and keeping the wig from frizzing use a brush or comb that is designed for Synthetic wigs.
Synthetic (Fibre) Wig and Hairpiece Care
Synthetic Wigs are easy to care for and you should only need to wash your wig once every 10 – 12 times worn. These wigs shorten in lifespan each time it is washed, but there are ways you can keep and maintain your wig for longer! A wig cap will help absorb your natural scalp oils and try using less styling products as possible. Following these steps will reduce how much you wash your wig and will keep your wig looking brand new for longer.
Here are some tips to maintain your wig:
- With your Synthetic Fibre brush or comb, gently brush through your wig removing any tangles always check for a tag on your wig as some wigs should not be brushed, especially if a curly wig!
- Longer styles can become more matted at the back, try applying a wig spray as a lubricant and gently brush or comb through.
- When your wig is tangle free you can wash your wig in luke warm water. Never use hot water as this can damage the fibres!
- Using a Synthetic wig Shampoo, pour two caps into luke warm water and let your wig submerge in the sink for 5 minutes before washing. Do not apply this product straight onto the hair fibres as it will make it lank and sticky.
- Rinse your wig in cold water until no suds remain. It’s okay to separate any tangles and strands with your fingers as your wig dry’s Do not twist or wring your wig. You can dry your wig on a towel to leave overnight or if you have a wig stand your wig will dry quicker!
- Once your wig is dry spray conditioner onto the wig so you can later brush through oils that were lost when you washed your wig.
Remember to not ever apply electric appliances onto your Synthetic wig or hair piece, unless it is heat resistant. It will frizz the fibres and can even melt them!
How do I look after my Human Hair Wig?
Human Hair Wig and Hairpiece Care
- Brush through your wig gently to remove any tangles. Do not brush through your wig if it is extremely curly or there’s a tag that says not to brush.
- Using your Polyhead, pin your wig to it and let the shower heads water run in the same direction!
- Once your wig is drenched with water apply a small amount of shampoo onto your wig.
- Comb or brush through your wig to get the shampoo through the hair, do not scrub!
- Rinse of your wig with cool water and inside the wig cap to remove any excess shampoo.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 when applying the conditioner. Leave the conditioner in for 5 minutes to improve consistency.
- When drying your wig do not rub hard and twist the hair, blot hair with towel then comb or brush through your wig and let dry naturally.
- It’s easy to restyle your Human hair wig, using a hair dryer, straighteners, curlers on a low heat setting.